How much a Civil Engineer earns in USA in 2022? The salary of a civil engineer in the United States is $78,288 per year on average, which translates to $6,524 per month. The salaries received by these civil engineering professionals in the United States vary. Stay to learn more about how much civil engineers earn in the USA.
It is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, planning, and construction of various structures through which various needs of a population are met.
How Much a Civil Engineer Earns in USA
The civil engineering career, despite not being one of the best-paid careers in the United States, is undoubtedly a profession that is among the most popular.
Civil Engineer How Much Do You Earn
The salary in the USA may be different depending on who has hired him, for example, one who works in the federal government sector exceeds the salary of those civil engineering graduates who are practicing their profession for the state government.
Those practicing for the federal government earn an average annual salary of $89,450, while civil engineers working for the state government may be earning approximately $74,300 a year.
In the case of the private sector, the employer of a construction company may be paying the engineering professional who has been chosen in the vacancy a salary that can range from $75,000 to $100,000 a year, the reason why The salary of this type of engineering professional is high, it is due to the demands that it entails.
The location where you are working is another factor that directly influences how much a civil engineer earns in the USA, for reference, these are the cities with the highest average salaries for civil engineering in the United States :
- Anchorage, Alaska: $76,901
- Riverside, California: $73,734
- San Francisco, California: $86,558
- Houston, Texas: $70,679
- San Jose, California: $86,539
What Does a Civil Engineer Do?
The functions of a civil engineer include the design and supervision of construction works to be carried out, whether it is in the public sector, such as the construction of bridges or pedestrian crossings, highways, or the construction of towers, or airports.
A civil engineer is also dedicated to ensuring the proper maintenance of infrastructures so that they can meet specific needs, as well as ensuring that they are prepared for natural events of force majeure that may occur.
Although engineers are usually carrying out tasks related to the project from their office, they also usually make monitoring visits that allow them to know if the construction to be carried out is proceeding in order according to plan, regularly working full time, for 40 hours. weekly.
Why is it Good To Study Civil Engineering in The United States?
To answer this question, it is important to note that the United States is one of the countries that has gained the greatest positive reputation when it comes to studying for a university degree because it does not matter what state of the United States you are in, in the end, you will have a wide variety of options to enrich yourself as a professional.
This is due to the high quality of the educational institutions or universities found in the United States, which also means that once you have received your civil engineering degree from an American university, that degree will open many doors for you internationally.
If you want to become a civil engineer in the United States, you can take a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, which takes 4-5 years on average. Some of the best civil engineering colleges in America are:
- The University of California-Berkeley.
- Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University.
Civil Engineering Specialties
It has a fairly broad field, which means that this discipline has different subspecialties, below I show you which are the areas of specialization in civil engineering:
- Construction management: If you want to specialize in the supervision of construction projects, ensuring that the works are kept to a minimum risk, security levels, and being in charge of other professionals involved in the project, then this specialization may be for you.
- Specialty in environmental engineering: If your passion is to improve the environment and quality of life where human beings live, taking advantage of sources of natural light or other natural resources, becoming an environmental civil engineer would be your best option.
- Geotechnical engineering: As a civil engineer specializing in geotechnical engineering, you will be able to compile and interpret the properties that make up the soil in order to give recommendations on whether the land is fertile enough to carry outbuildings.
- Structural engineering: As an expert in structures, you will be in charge of recommending the most suitable materials for the construction of structures that do not collapse due to their own weight, as well as the assembly of these materials to model the structures.
- Transportation engineer: This specialization enables you to work on the construction of transportation systems, whether they are the subway lines of your city, or tunnels, among other types of projects that involve the mobility of society from one point to another. in the city.
Take into account that within the academic programs, the one you have chosen must be approved by ABET ( ABET Accredited ) which is a board that accredits and guarantees that a certain educational program of a university or college is meeting the minimum quality standard. that is required for the training of these students.