That is why here we want to show you 5 ways that will be useful for you to carry your investments successfully in the United States.
How To immigrate To The USA As an Investor
1. Investment in The EB-5 Regional Center
Invest $500,000 in a regional center approved by the government for the EB-5 program over a period of about 5 years.
In about 18 months, you get conditional green cards that entitle you and your immediate family to enter the US.
The best part: You can live, work and study anywhere in the country and there are no education, age, or English language requirements.
Take into account that this means investing your money in a third party’s business and through said commercial project at least 10 people must be employed for at least 2 years, to obtain permanent residence.
- Low payment of $500,000 for a green card, with passive participation.
- The money is managed by a third party.
2. EB-5 Direct investment
Unlike the previous passive EB-5 option, this one is active, since it is your own business.
To obtain a conditional green card for you and your family, you must invest $1,000,000 in your own business and directly employ a minimum of 10 people for 2 years.
The application process takes about 18 months, but if you combine it with the E-2 visa indicated below, you will be able to enter the US in about six months.
After showing that you have fulfilled the employment of a minimum of 10 workers for 2 years and that you have maintained your minimum investment of $1,000,000, you can apply for a permanent green card.
If you invest in a high-unemployment area of the United States, the amount required to qualify may be as low as $500,000.
This is a good option to combine with a possible franchise scenario, such as a restaurant or hotel chain.
- You control your money totally.
- It involves a hefty $1 million for a green card, plus it involves active participation.
3. Transfer Between Companies
If you are transferred from your company abroad to an affiliated US company to work as a director, executive, or someone with specialized knowledge, you can access a green card.
An example would be a Chevrolet brand manager going to the United States to run a subsidiary plant.
However, before getting the transfer, consider the following:
- You must have worked for the subsidiary company abroad for a period of at least 1 year in the last 3 years.
- The job you got in the United States must be similar to the one you did in your country.
- The processing time of the green card between companies lasts approximately 18 months.
- Cheap way to get a residence card.
- Requires the support of an applicant company.
4. E-2 Work Visa
If your State of citizenship has an investment treaty with the United States, you may be allowed to obtain an E-2 visa to work for a company you form in the United States.
Basically, you are the sponsor and the immigrant employee.
Point to consider:
Investment requirements vary depending on the nature of the business and its industry sector. At the low end, around $75,000 might cover you, though starting at $200,000 would make things easier.
E-2 visas are granted for periods of up to five years and are renewable indefinitely.
Spouses of E-2s can also obtain general work authorizations to work anywhere in the US.
- The fastest way to enter the US to work.
- It is complicated to get a permanent residence without the direct addition of the EB-5.
5. Extraordinary EB-1 Immigrants
If you have extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or sports, you can apply directly for a green card.
Some examples would be famous researchers, outstanding mathematicians, or well-known athletes.
You will need to demonstrate your experience or exceptional ability in a particular field by meeting the government’s criteria for an EB-1 immigrant.
These criteria include awards and honors received, as well as any laudatory publications written about your achievements. Being a recognized actor in the film world would be another example.
- You can apply for a green card on your own.
- You have to be outstanding in your field to get it.
Getting a green card does not have to be an impossible job, but if you are an investor, you may consider one of the 5 options that we have shown you throughout this publication.